Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wanna Know How I Know Uruguay?




Because you just lost to the Dutch. Wow, what a game that was... While I would not say that I am a member of the "football" fan club, I can say that I have enjoyed watching the World Cup more than I would have anticipated. This last game in particular featuring Netherlands and Uruguay gave me a little more added confidence that soccer IS in fact fun to watch (sometimes).


As much as I hate any thing that calls itself a sport that can end in a tied final outcome, this World Cup has given Americans soccer fever. Why? Well, as Americans we will root for OUR country no matter what, but where the fever kicks in is that I am noticing major trends, including myself, in rooting for heritage and other countries outside of our own. The anatomy of sports fanatics are those whose emotions are invested into athletes that they themselves feel connected to in some sort of way. So, obviously now that the U.S. soccer team is out of the World Cup after being defeated by Ghana, I am reaching back to my heritage to support the Germans in this tournament. Their upcoming match against Spain will surely be a great one and I plan to rock the Black, Red, and Yellow with a Beck's in my hand.



The point is, fanhood cannot simply be limited to one team, one country, or even one sport; especially in America. The melting pot country that we are provides us with a melting pot of people, teams, and sports, so to limit to yourself to one team, one sport, or even one country is to some extent un-American. My gospel here is that true fanhood is the gratifying feeling that one gets from investing their emotions into athletic competition. Whether you win or lose, whether its "your" team or just the team that fills your emotional void (i.e. Germany), true fanaticism is in the eye (and heart) of the fanhood-holder.

Viva la Mouthpiece. Go Germany!




No comments:

Post a Comment